Going on a road trip is one of the most exciting and affordable ways to explore an unknown place. But after a few hours or even days of driving, the need for entertainment kicks in. You can always chat with your passengers or take in the scenery, but sometimes you need something extra to keep those long drives bearable. Listening to music, podcasts, or audiobooks can enhance your road trip experience and make it more memorable. In this article, we will dive into some suggestions for what to listen to when on your next excursion.
One of the oldest yet effective ways of creating a great atmosphere on the road is creating a theme-based playlist. These playlists can be tailored to fit any mood, genre, or era and can make road trips fly by. Here are a few examples of what such playlists could be:
- Classic Rock Classics: Perfect for those who prefer classic rock tunes from the ’60s and ’70s, this playlist includes tracks from The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Queen, and more.
- Road Trip Anthems: This playlist includes a mix of pop, rock, and sing-along songs for those who love to join in with their passengers in singing their heart out. The playlist features tracks by Bon Jovi, Journey, Guns N’ Roses, and more.
- Mellow Chillout: If you want something a little less upbeat, this playlist is an excellent choice. It includes soothing tracks that can help you relax and enjoy the ride. This playlist includes songs from Nora Jones, Coldplay, Miles Davis, and more.
Podcasts and Audiobooks
If you’re not in the mood for music, podcasts and audiobooks are excellent alternatives. They provide an opportunity to learn new information and delve deeper into a subject. Here are some recommendations:
- Serial: This podcast is a true-crime story that captivates listeners and gives them an inside scoop on crimes that have never been solved.
- TED Radio Hour: This podcast features TED Talks of various kinds, offering insight into different aspects of life, including the economy, psychology, history, and more.
- Harry Potter Series: This is a well-loved audiobook series that can immerse you in a magical world with its incredible acting, sound effects, and story.
- The Adv of Sherlock Holmes: If you’re in the mood for something a little more classic, this series of audiobooks will certainly do the trick. The series follows the famous detective, Sherlock Holmes, and his trusted companion Watson.
Turn Back Time
Taking a trip down memory lane can be nostalgic and an excellent opportunity to indulge in some throwback tunes. One of the best things about road trips is the chance to alternate between old-timey hits and modern tracks. Here are some musical suggestions:
- The ’80s Mixtape: With classic hits like Prince, Madonna, and Michael Jackson, this playlist is sure to make your passengers nostalgic.
- The ’90s Throwback: This playlist is perfect for those who prefer the ’90s hits featuring the Spice Girls, Tupac, Nirvana, and more.
Discover New Music
While it’s great to indulge in old hits, why not use your road trip as an opportunity to discover new music? With technology and streaming platforms, finding emerging artists, unique jams, or some indie tracks has never been easier. Here are some suggestions:
- Spotify: This app suggests popular songs and new releases depending on what you’ve listened to before.
- Pandora: With Pandora, similar to Spotify, you can set up a station with your favourite artist, and the app provides music based on your preference.
- Indie Spotlight: This playlist is updated frequently with the newest indie hits, perfect for those who want to stay in the loop and discover new music.
If you have a lot of work to do or you use long drives to meditate or reflect, instrumental music can be great for creating a relaxed atmosphere. Here are some playlists with soothing tunes:
- Jazz Classics: This playlist features smooth jazz tracks from greats like Duke Ellington, Louie Armstrong, and Ella Fitzgerald.
- Classical Studying: This playlist features beautiful symphonies and operas by Mozart, Bach, and various other composers.
Make Your Own Mixtape
If you can’t find the perfect playlist, making your own is always an option. There are various mobile apps and music compiling tools that can help create your desired mix of genres and moods. Here are some tips for creating a top-notch playlist:
- Create a storyline: Start with an opening that sets the mood and end with a song that leaves a lasting memory.
- Mix up the tempo: Add some fast, upbeat tracks to keep passengers energised and some soft, mellow tunes for breaks or relaxation.
- Diversify genres: Include different genres to cater to all passengers’ preferences and make the mix more interesting.
A road trip can be a long journey, but it doesn’t need to be dull. With the suggestions above, there is something to cater to everyone’s taste. Whether you’re a music enthusiast or prefer diving deep into a podcast series, there is something to keep you entertained on your journey. Don’t be shy to mix things up between the old and new to keep every passenger entertained. So, pack your bags, buckle up, play some tunes, and hit the road for an exciting adventure.
(Note: Is this article not meeting your expectations? Do you have knowledge or insights to share? Unlock new opportunities and expand your reach by joining our authors team. Click Registration to join us and share your expertise with our readers.)