Site Admin

Your feedback for Harbor Freight?

Harbor Freight link

But Facebook Sucks!

Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:38 pm 
F-6
F-6

I love this place. I am like a kid in a candy store when I go there becuase everything is so reasonable. I know it is not the best quality of stuff but I will say from the items I have gotten there I have beaten the crap out of them and they are still going (chicago electric). For example I purchased a 4" grinder about 3-4 years ago for like $10 with an e-mail coupon. I have used this to basically wire brush and sand down my entire 63 comet, 2 rear ends, boat trailer etc and it is still going strong. The next thing is that if you sign up on there web site they send you coupon for some real good deals.

Happy shopping!

Joe

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:32 am 
o-2-8
o-2-8

I gave them a poor grade,,,I learned the hard way that cheap made off shore tools are junk and does not hold up to moderate usage,,,

When I first started all the metal work on my Ranch Wagon I bought their sheet metal brake,,and I woker OK for 3 consecutive saturday work secions on the 4Th saturday I pulled the handle and the cast metal are snaped,,,,

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/tinkerbb/junk.jpg[/IMG]

This piece of junk came with a 30 day warrenty,,,,,this was exactly day 30,,,

We don't have a harbor frieght in this town,,,so after loading the broke brake up in my truck I head out fot the 30 mile trip to the store in Greenville, S.C,,,did I tell ya that it was snowing so hard that the normal 45 minute trip took nearly 3 hours to get there,,,and they were in the process of closing early.

Now big snows in this area are not common at all,,,,but the planets we inline or some other idiotic jibberish,,and the weather was terrible,,,anyway I ran?,,slid to the door and got the manager and his responce was we are closing come back monday,,,,blue laws in this state at the time,,,so they would not be open on sunday,,,,I was pissed to put it mildly!

I explained to the best of my ability my problem and that the 30 days was over today,,,he said he was sorry but all the sales were closed out and if he turned them back on it would show the next business day and after he finished turning the key in the lock he walked off leaving me standing there with a useless warrenty in my hand.

When they returned monday morning they found a broken POS blocking their front door covered in ice and snow,,,

After about 3 weeks they finally made it good but not before offering me another brake,,,I said no,,,I want my money back,,,,

I bought a 4 foot Grizzly brake and it has worked flawlessly for about 5 years now.

In my opinion Harbor Freight sucks,,,Danny

1964 Ford Falcon?
1932 Ford pickup
1932 Ford Tudor
1954 Ford "Ranch Wagon"
1965 Ford pickup

Last edited by HOTRODPRIMER on Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:32 pm 
O8-18
O8-18

Dave,

Around here we call Harbor Freight the "Man's Walmart" as they have so many things a man might want to buy and the price is really good. Of course, the quality on many parts is poor but for the price you can usually just go back and buy another one. And if they don't have it in the store you can usually order it on-line. http://www.harborfreight.com/

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:55 am 
O8-09
O8-09

In my experience, the key to buying successfully from Harbor Frieght is to tailor your expectations to the task. If I want a high-quality tool that I know I will be using for years, then I buy from a mfg that I know will supply a high-quality tool (typically Craftsman, my dad always used them, and I typically follow suit; although my son prefers Mac). If I need a tool for a single task, and then after that I don't care, then I'll buy it from Harbor Frieght. I figure if it happens to last beyond that one first use, then I'm ahead of the game.
I will also buy an item there if it happens to be made up of primarily low-tech mfg processes, like cast iron.
Again, having low expectations is the key to satisfaction.
I am a proponent of buying American, but sometimes I'll pick up a cheap item that I comes under the category of "nice, but not necessary." So it's not like I'm taking work away from an American, I simply wouldn't have purchased it at all otherwise.
Just my $.02.
thx, LanceB

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:14 pm 
O6-18
O6-18

The products at Harbor Freight are a mixed bag of quality. I agree with Lance, it is a good place to buy a seldom used or one time use tool. A friend orders case lots of cheap spray guns for his body shop. He uses them for priming guns and throws them away after the job is done. I have bought a good quality tool set to carry in the trunk that is a 300 piece set in a plastic carry case for $170. We have 3 of them and the quality is good, the tool steel is chrome vanadium steel. The first set was bought over 20 years ago and no tools ever broke to this day. I know most tools have a limited lifespan from them and expect no less, I get what I pay for. For long term or repeated use, that is what the top companies are for, not Harbor Freight.

Terry L. Rahn

http://members.fotki.com/tlr41552/about/

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:40 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The seldom use can get you. I've bought tools from them thinking that and it bit me the second or third time I used them. I bought one of the recipricating saws and used it one time (light use) and several months later used it for the second time (light use) and it broke in half rendering it usless. No warranty left. I bought one of the 18 volt drills and was impressed, but the charger doesn't seem to auto shut off and the batteries stay pretty darned warm all the time they are in it. Take a fully charged battery and leave it in the drill for a week and its dead. I thought maybe it was a bad battery so I bought another one and same thing. At least now I can just keep one of the two in the charger all the time. The old saying goes "You get what you pay for", but I've had pretty good luck with other tools and for the price they can't be beat.

But Facebook Sucks!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:09 pm 
F-6
F-6

They have recently opened up two Harbor Freight stores in the area. There is an empty store in the plaza about a mile from my house. The other day there was a sign posted that it was going to be a Harbor Freight. I'm kicking myself for not being ahead of it and seeing the opportunity first. The area can easily support 1 or 2 or more stores. I'm going to pay close attention and look into it.

I’ve placed a total of maybe 10 orders with them over the last 4 years. I have never had any issues with Customer Service, but have also yet to return items. On occasion, I’ve had circumstances where shipping takes forever because of a back-order. They never tell you this up front but when you contact them (via phone or email or live through their site), I’ve received immediate answers as to the shipping status. As stated though, go into it with the understanding and get what you pay for and I have usually gotten exactly what I have expected, with 2 exceptions:

I bought the 1175 lb, 4’ x 8’ folding utility trailer with the 12” wheels. I got it for under $200 with free shipping. It is used as my p-up truck: runs to the trash dump, runs to the compost station, runs to the nursery for mulch/dirt//bushes/plants/trees, as well as most of my ‘home improvement store’ runs. It’s actually better than a p-up as it is a full 4 x 8, I can stack drywall, plywood, etc. with ease, and it’s low so transfer is easy. I’ve brought home a 1000+ sq ft of flooring as well as a new tractor, car parts, etc. It looks like a junky trailer, but performs way beyond my expectations.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/photos ... /90154.gif

Another was the 2 HP, 4 gallon pancake compressor. I had just invested in all new nail gun equipment for my side business and the budget was thin for a decent compressor. I got it for $85 shipped on sale and have been very impressed. I’m been using it on job sites for over 2 years now with no issues. On one job, I had to paint fully-louvered doors. I used it with my auto-body gun with the pressure set down to about 40 psi. It kept right up and did a great job on the doors. If it does ever quit, I’ll really have to consider whether I want to spend another $100 or so to replace it, or shell out $300+ on a good-name brand, dual tank unit. Plus, this weighs about 50lb and fits on the floor of the passenger’s front side of my car. The commercial units are much heavier and may not fit in my trunk. Mine is an older model than what is pictured.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/photos ... /95499.gif

Al

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:46 pm 
O12-19
O12-19

I live in Long Beach, CA and have to say that I agree with most of the posts here. Harbor Freight doesn't sell very high quality stuff but you do have to tailor your purchase to your needs. Some things like buffing wheels naturally will wear out Other things like trailer dolly's will not need to stand up to hard continuous use so why pay for high quality on something not used that often? Their prices are good, however so I would give them a good rating.

regards,

Steve Tontz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:14 pm 
o-5-8
o-5-8

i think that you folks have said just about exactly how my friends and i feel about Harbor Freight. they just opened a new store here alot closer to me. i am painting my ranchero and have bought alot from them, but most of it is one time use and if they last past that i'm that much ahead. if i'm looking for quality i will go to Sears even though i've grown to dislike their business attitude. they are more like K Mart then what we grew up with. for the most part what you buy at Harbor Freight performs well for the money.

It's now a 200

It's easier to ask for forgiveness then ask for permission

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:50 pm 
O11-18
O11-18

Not all their stuff is high quality but if you are careful you can find some stuff that is ok. You just have to be selective. But they have stuff you can't find anywhere else. At least not for the price.

Ron

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:20 pm 
F-6
F-6

There low quality keeps getting lower......only buy one time use tools or generic stuff like fasteners, ties, fuses. Would never buy drills, wrenches, or other high usage tools from them as I don't want issues that can slow down your project. But I do use them for certain items and I buy directly from their local store.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:47 am 
O7-12
O7-12

Lots of Chinese junk, but if you don't mind throwing stuff away after limited use, then the price is right. Not nearly as cheap as they once were. Definitely buyer beware, but their return/exchange policy is fairly loose.

2005 BMW R1200 GS
2001 Suzuki Bandit S 600

" I read the news today , oh boy "

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:28 am 
O12-19
O12-19

i have quite a few HF tools.
caliper compressor works great, same with the ball joint press, and radiator pressure tester.
i get 3-4 years out of the small $19.99 hand held grinders. one for the grinder wheel, one for the flapper disc, and one for the cut off wheel.
same with the large grinder.
and i have one of the little red $5 multi-meters in each truck. if it gets lost or stolen no big deal.

the impact sockets are great, i have a set of metric and standards in each truck with on-board air.
the $9.99 movers dollys are great to have around the shop.
the 2ton gantry crane has saved many hours of back breaking work.
try buying an air over hydraulic 20 ton jack for you press for under $70 anywhere else, or an air over 8 ton long ram for the engine hoist for $70.

all in all, the only thing i ever bought from HF that broke was the battery terminal spreader, and they gave me a new one with no questions asked.

78 F-250 Trailer special
79 F250 4X4 plow rig
79 F350 4X4 plow rig
88 4X4 turbodeisel superduty P/U
99 Crown Vic daily beater/Cruiser
2000 F350 plow rig
02 superduty 4X4 diesel stretch cab shortbox.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:19 am 
O8-16
O8-16

I do buy from Harbor Freight but I pick and chose what I get from them. The real problem with buying from them is where the products come from. There is little to nothing they sell that is made in the United States. I know that when I buy a product from off shore I am taking money out of the pocket of a fellow American :oops: , just something to thing about when we buy that cheap drill or grinder.